page_topper
Previous ClubNext ClubClose This Window

Meeting Information

Meets at 7 p.m. (doors open at 6) on the third Tuesday of each month at Steele Memorial Library, 101 East Church St. Stamp Circuit available.

Contact

Alan Parsons
809 Holley Road
Elmira, NY 14901

Phone: 607-732-0181

alatholleyrd@aol.com

Elmira Area Map

Membership & Dues

The Elmira Stamp Club currently has 75 members. Dues are $10 per year;
$5 for junior members.

Our Officers

Michael Breed, President
Don Dolan, Vice President, Treasurer & Membership Secretary

Our History

Eight Decades Old and Going Strong!

The Elmira Stamp C1ub was organized as the Southern Tier Stamp Society of Elmira in September 1926 at the office of Dr. Charles Haase, an Elmira physician and surgeon who was elected the first president. Stanley Bowyer was elected as the first secretary.

The Southern Tier Stamp Society remained active with monthly meetings, annual banquets, and other activities designed to promote philately, particularly among juniors, until the early 1940s. In October 1930, it became a chapter of the National Federation of Stamp Clubs and in February 1940, became a founding member of the Federation of Central New York Philatelic Societies, with members of the club holding offices and working actively on the committees.

The first directory, published in 1941, shows that the membership had reached 28, with eight of the members listed as available speakers.

The Society was reorganized as the Elmira Stamp Club in September 1944. For a number of years it met three times monthly and thereafter, twice monthly. In 1945 it commenced sponsorship of an annual philatelic exhibition and on Oct.ober 19, 1947 received its charter as Chapter 237 of the American Philatelic Society at the banquet held in conjunction with the club’s third annual philatelic exhibition.

Sponsorship of shows in downtown Elmira continued throughout the 1950s and 1960s and many prominent philatelists were brought to the area as speakers and exhibitors. The last downtown show was in 1971 at the Mark Twain Hotel with E. N. Sampson, a well-known authority on postal history — particularly stampless covers, as the banquet speaker.

The first show to be sponsored by the club at the Arnot Mall was held in October 1976. A few years ago it was moved to the Big Flats American Legon Post. It was known as the Elmira Stamp Show until 1985, when it became STEPEX, an acronym for Southern Tier–Elmira Philatelic Exhibition.

The club’s business meetings are brief and followed by a talk, slide presentation, or an auction. Guests are always welcome. Club meetings afford an opportunity for purchasing stamps from area dealers and from circuits put up by stamp collectors. The club produces commemorative covers to honor significant community events a dnd sponsors an annual banquet, which usually is held in the fall, to present the awards from STEPEX.

The club has a library for further reading and research and offers its members the opportunity to meet with other collectors and to work with young people as they develop an interest in the hobby of stamp collecting.

If you don’t already belong, now is the time to join the Elmira Stamp Club!

— Alan Parsons