initial meeting of the Fort Orange Stamp Club was held on April 9,
1926. Early meetings were held successively in the YMCA and the Lavender
Book Shop. In 1936, the club moved to the Albany Institute of Art,
where meetings were regularly held. The club currently meets at the
Bethany Reformed Church Community Center in Albany.
in its eighth decade, the club is in the enviable position of being
able to plan the years program far enough to publish a printed
schedule for distribution to members and friends. Programs cover a
wide range of subjects of general interest, and those who attend the
meetings will be well rewarded.
Seal & Stamp Club of Albany
club was incorporated into the Fort Orange Stamp Club in 2004 at the
request of Vera Bunkhof.
club was founded May 7, 1936 by Mrs. George J. Skinner and Mrs. William
Weigmann, as a club where women stamp collectors could get together
to enjoy their hobby, as membership in nearly all of the organized
stamp clubs of that time was restricted to men only. The club continued
over the years and remained primarily a club where women collectors
could meet to discuss their philatelic interests before the merger
with the Fort Orange club.