September 1927, the Rome YMCA organized a stamp club as part of its
youth program. This continued until March 1932 when members of the
Y organized the Copper City Stamp Club, an offshoot of the original
club and opened its membership to all collectors in the area. During
the years that followed the club participated in many shows and was
the host club on several occasions.
club later changed its name to Fort Stanwix Stamp Club to better reflect
its historic fort. The club formerly was a member of the group of
five clubs, which presented the annual CINCOPEX exhibition. Membership
is open to both adults and juniors. In 2004, the club began a new
show in conjunction with the Utica Stamp Club the Central New
York Stamp, Coin & Cover Show, which was held at the Turning Stone
Casino and Resort in Verona.
Community Stamp Club
club was incorporated into the Fort Stanwix Stamp Club in mid 2005.
the original Oneida-Sherrill Stamp Club had disbanded, 10 people met
on January 9, 1960 at Don Ingalls home in Sherrill and formed
the Community Stamp Club. The first meetings were held in the homes
of the various members, but increasing growth made it necessary to
find a larger meeting place. A place was found in the CAC Clubhouse
in Sherrill, where the club has met since that time. Each meeting
consisted of a short business session followed by a planned educational
program and refreshments.