Rochester Club Topper
Previous ClubNext ClubClose This Window

Meeting Information

Meets at 7:30 p.m. the second and fourth Thursdays, except July and August, at Brighton Reformed Church at 805 Blossom Road.

Contact

Thomas M. Fortunato
P. O. Box 10206
Brighton Station
Rochester, NY 14610-0206

Phone: 585-225-6822

stamptmf@frontiernet.net
Rochester Area Map
Web Site

Membership & Dues

The Rochester Philatelic Association currently has 106 members. Dues are $20 per year.

Our Officers

Rich Spinelli, President | Carl Miller, Vice President
Fred Haynes, Recording Secretary
| David Robinson, Treasurer

Our History

The Rochester Philatelic Association was founded on March 26, 1913 by 13 philatelists who first met in the lobby of the Hotel Rochester. Some of these men were also members of the Rochester Numismatic Association, which formed a year earlier, and early talks were to combine both groups.

The Rochester Philatelic Association had an especially active first 15 years. The RPA joined the American Philatelic Association (now the American Philatelic Society) in September 1913. By the war years, membership had trickled and the group talked about disbanding but it came back with a vengeance. Two very active members began a club collection of worldwide issues, combining their major collections with other donations from RPA members. By December 1921, the Municipal Collection housed at Exhibition Park was recognized as one of the best in the world and remained in the RPA’s possession until the 1960s.

Growth continued through the following decades. It absorbed its major competitor, the Genesee Valley Stamp Club, in 1933. At about the same time, the RPA started a club newsletter, which continues to this day. Meetings were held at the old Municipal Museum until the new Rochester Museum of Arts and Science was built on East Avenue in 1942. Attendance often topped 100 with meetings in the museum’s Hobby Room

The golden era of the RPA surely came in 1963. The RPA’s 50th anniversary party that April featured an international stamp exhibition lasting 50 straight hours. Additional shows have been hosted by the RPA since then, including the 1968 APS Convention (originating the Champion of Champions), the first ROPEX in 1971, and the American Topical Association’s TOPEX in 1974.

Today, the RPA is active as ever with some 140 members from throughout the western New York region and beyond.